The Museum of Contemporary Photography is based in Chicago, Columbia. It is the world’s most premium college art museum, dedicated to photography. This is the only museum in the Midwest, especially for photography.
The museum has a wide range of collections of the works of the artist from around the world. This is an international hub that shapes ideas and provokes enthusiasm among the artists, students, and people related to the photography community. Through different programs and exhibitions.
Mission of MoCP
To Sow an intense understanding of photography in our today’s world.
- To Cultivate a deeper understanding of Artistic roles of photography.
- Also the culture and political roles of photography in our world.
History of MoCP
It was founded by Columbia College Chicago, in 1976. It is the Successor to the Chicago Center for Contemporary Photography. It started collecting artist’s work from the 1980s.
Since then they have collected more than 15000 objects by 1500 artists. The American Alliance of Museums has accredited the Museum of Contemporary Photography.
Education at the Museum of Contemporary Photography
MoCP aims to cultivate a greater appreciation and understanding of the cultural, political, and artistic implications of photography in our world today.
- Teaching mission as a college art museum
- They provide a wide range of educational opportunities to educators, students, and the general public.
- They provide free Museum tour
- Provide community engagement initiatives
- Provide a resource for educators
- Program for the general public
- Allow viewing the work’s from museum collections
The education at MoCP is supported by:
- The Lloyd A. Fry Foundation
- After School Matters
- The National Endowment for the Arts
- The Terra Foundation for American Art
MoCP Visiting Details
You can visit the museum only when The Columbia College of Chicago is open. It’s closed when the college is closed. It includes all the major holidays. It is also closed during the installation of the exhibitions. Do check the MoCP website before visiting the museum.
Tuesday: 10:00 am – 5:00 pm
Thursday: 10:00 am – 5:00 pm
Friday: 10:00 am – 5:00 pm
Saturday: 10:00 am – 5:00 pm
Location of MoCP
Museum of Contemporary Photography
at Columbia College Chicago
600 South Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL 60605
You can follow them on
The official website of the Museum of Contemporary is https://www.mocp.org/